Hi my name is Lynn Abraham and I teach in a small school in South Taranaki
New Zealand.
Last year I was honored to teach a group of misunderstood students.
I based our learning aroud listening with empathy and understanding as it
is very clear out there in the world that our young people care most for
themselves rather then others.
I introduced the Pay it Forward concept to this group of students and
explained that sometimes doing for others is far more meaningful then
having things done for you. After a discussion we all decided that we
would like to raise funds for three chosen charities because of the work
these charities do everyday with out recognition. We choose a local rest
home, National children's hospital and world vision.
We started our Pay it Forward campaign with a cake stall and a school wide
mufti day. We also asked the community for donations of wool and we all
learnt how to knit and we knitted a lap blanket for the residents of our
local rest home, we still have more donated wool so this project is set
for another year. We had a sausage sizzle and ran a few raffles in the
end we had raised $200.00 so this money was split up and donated to our
three charities along with a special note asking these charities to
continue with the work they do because they really do make a difference
to peoples lives. This year I hope to have another group of students and
we will be looking at Pay it Forward in other ways. If 1 person could
help 3 more people and so on The world we live in would be a much nicer
and safer place. That our dream.
Remember to Pay it Forward
Lynn Abraham
Patea Area School
Taranaki
New Zealand
0 comments:
Post a Comment