CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Just Pay it Forward"

Here is my pay it forward story:

When I was young - fresh out of college - I was having a really hard time finding a job. I had gone on an interview and although the company had selected another candidate, my interviewer liked me. She said I had "spunk" and offered me some interviewing tips. The next interview I had, I landed the job and have now been employed with the company for 5 years. I decided to pay it forward, and signed up with my University Alumni center as a mentor for students. Well two year ago - in the height of the financial crisis - a young student called me requesting mentoring assistance. I was friends with a colleague in HR, so I passed along her resume. Although I didn't know this person, put my name (and career) behind her and recommended her for a position within the company. She was hired a few months later. I called her a few weeks later once she was settled into the job and congratulated her on getting the job. She wanted to take me out to dinner to thank me for my help. I just told her that everyone - at some point in their life - need to get a leg up. The next time she saw someone struggling, just pay it forward.

I don't know if she did, but I continue to help students with interviewing advice, tips and sometimes go as far as to submit resumes on their behalf.


~Cathy, NY

1 comments:

Unknown said...

the corporate world needs more people like you. Your are a giver and the world needs more like you. May your works be succesful, and may they flourish, as I hope your career does as well.