CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Change for Coffee and "PIF"

Last week I needed a breather from work and took a coffee break with a friend. We walked downtown to the coffee shop and before I could pay, the cashier told me that our coffee was covered. When I gave her a confused look she explained that the previous customer wanted to Pay It Forward and put $30 towards the next several coffees ordered. I thought this was a nice gesture and headed back to work, not thinking much more.

Then this morning, as I raced to catch the bus to work, I noticed a man checking the change return at a local parking meter. When our eyes met he said, as if needing to explain, “I’m just looking for change to buy a coffee”. I replied that I was grabbing a coffee before boarding the bus and if he met me at the corner coffee shop I would buy him one. He was so grateful as we headed to the corner. Just as I paid and began putting cream and sugar in my coffee I turned around and saw my bus pull up across the street. Ugh, I said out loud, “looks like I missed my bus”. He exclaimed, “no worries, I’ll tell the bus driver to wait” and he ran out the door, through the rain, yelling, “I take cream and sugar too”.

Needless to say I made the bus and was so grateful to this stranger. What a great way to start the day!
The saying, Pay It Forward means even more to me after a few kind gestures. I plan to incorporate it in as many ways as possible and am grateful for the simple moments that bring it to light in my busy day.

Thanks for listening!

Tammy J Gewehr

0 comments: