I am employed close to a Starbucks in Sacramento, California at the corner of Howe Avenue and Arden Way. One morning in November, I drove up to the drive-through microphone and placed my order. When I reached the window, the young woman informed me that the "car in front of me" had paid for my order. She proceded to tell me that all they asked was that I do the same for people behind me, Pay It Forward. She informed me that I was the 14th person so far, but she had already received the order from the vehicle behind me and it was a few dollars higher than mine. The thought that someone had already paid for me warmed my heart and I paid for the order from the vehicle behind me.
Later that week I approached the drive through window and I asked if they knew how many people had Paid It Forward earlier week. Three of the staff came running to the window with enormous smiles on their faces. They informed me that 83 people paid it forward. They also told me that it was only 83 because when #83 drove up, there was none behind him/her.
I haven't forgotten that. It was a warm feeling once again. It is my understanding that someone comes up to the window once a week and pays it forward. I am not a daily customer, so I have yet to receive another Pay It Forward at Starbucks.
I shared that story with one of my employees who informed me that he was crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge on his way to San Francisco and someone had paid him forward at the toll booth.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Starbucks and "PIF"
Posted by Pay it Forward Members at 10:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment