CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 26, 2009

Put a Smile on a Face!


My name is Morgan Meadows and as shocking as it may be, especially form a teen who is suppose to be pron to caring for ourselves during these egocentric years, i have always found great joy in helping another simply smile. I attend Northern Kentucky University and for a speech class i'm in we were assigned to pick a enviromental, social, or ecomonical problem we feel deserves more attention. Meaning to dig deeper then the issues of recycling or global warming. A few days prior to this I was working a shift at the local Dairy Queen i'm employed at. A lady came up to from window and ordered a kiddie-cup for her son. This is a small cup of ice cream we serve for kids, on the ice cream we put little candy eyeballs that the kids get a big kick out of. I always try to make them a little more fun by placing the spoon right below the eyes making it look like a smiley face. I did so for his lady and she thanked me for making it look so cool and then proceeded to show her son the smiley face. After they were finished eating she came back up to the window and asked my co-worker if she could get me to come back up to the window. As i approached her she continously thanked me for caring so much about her son and for making the ice cream look so cool. She told me she has never seen her son so excited about ice cream before and told me how it really made his day. She thanked me again then left. What the lady didn't know is that she really had made my day, by noticing the small almost insignifant thing that I do to put a smile on a childs face. Actually, she helped me notice that I did it at all. It gave me an alomost "high" for at least a week. I felt so good that something so small that I do really made an impact on someone. So after I heard the guidlines for the project I immediatley knew i wanted my speech to be about doing good deeds, rather its holding a door for someone or donating clothes you don't wear anymore to a local goodwill. As I presented my idea to the class a girl came up to me and told me to watch pay it forward and that it may give me some ideas. I had seen it before and it immediately clicked, I knew thats what my speech was going to be about; paying it forward. I've been working on my speech and its almost complete. In doing so I have visted websites and learned about the Pay it Forward organization. I'm hoping that this speech will collect good feedback, and that my classmates will go out and pay it forward.

0 comments: