CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Winnipeg and "PIF"

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I met Candace Sutherland a few years ago who also lives in Winnipeg and who inspired me.

About 3 years ago I first heard about Candace by reading a newspaper article. The article was about a 14 year old aboriginal girl that was urging Winnipeggers to donate turkeys to support her drive to feed the needy at Siloam Mission (a local food bank). This was just prior to Thanksgiving in 2006. My wife and I bought 2 turkeys and I delivered them to Siloam Mission. That’s where I met Candace Sutherland.

I was so impressed about her work and commitment that I vowed to do my part as well. If a young teenager could devote her time and the little money she had to help the needy, the least I could do was to volunteer some of my time to help as well. I began volunteering in the kitchen at Siloam Mission. My wife soon joined me and we have now volunteered there almost every Saturday morning for the last 3 years – all because of how we were inspired by Candace.
Candace has been helping the poor and disadvantaged in Winnipeg for several years and she now is about to begin the most challenging project to date. She will be running across Canada beginning at the end of February, 2010 (on her 17th birthday) to raise funds for 4 charities that have a special meaning to her and her family.
For more information about Candace, her accomplishments, and her upcoming run across Canada called the
Vision4Hope marathon, please see her website at http://www.candacesutherland.com

As mentioned on her website there are administrative expenses for this type of project. There will be a fundraising event on February 6th to help out but I am afraid that will not be enough to assist with all costs associated with the run. There is a link on the website if anyone wants to help with a contribution.

Also, if anyone has an RV and is willing to help by offering their RV to cross one of the provinces, that would be great. The owner of the RV can feel free to drive which would be a phenomenal experience – to be part of this historic event.

Please help Candace realize her dream and make the Vision4Hope marathon a success.

0 comments: