Just wanted to share my PIF story.
One day I was pumping gas and a man approached me to ask if had any a couple of dollars to spare. He had lost his job and home and needed the money for gas to make it to a relatives house that was willing to take him and his wife in. He went on to say that they had spent several nights in their van because they had no where else to go. I told him I didn't have any cash but if he would wait I would get cash back from inside the gas station. As I walked into the gas station it dawned on me that they were probably also hungry so instead of getting a few dollars I took out $20. When I approached him before I had let him see the money in my hand I asked if he had heard of Pay It Forward. He started crying and said yes as he threw his arms around me and gave me a huge hug. I told him that someone had once helped me in a time of need and for him to do the same once he was able. He said he promised to PIF and that he knew that one day he would be able to help someone else. I gave him the $20 and he gave me another hug this time twirling me around lifting my feet of the ground. I looked over to see his wife crying also. The feeling that I got from helping someone by only giving them $20 was priceless.
P.S. After someone had PIF to me a while ago I had been trying to think up ways to PIF to some one else to no avail. After the day at the gas station I realized you don't have to seek out ways to help people but that the situation will present itself to you.
Sincerely,
Ila Kennedy
0 comments:
Post a Comment