Three years ago I bumped into an acquaintance during a break at a conference. My acquaintance, Julie, was accompanied by a woman she had recently met named Denise. Julie told me Denise had signed on for a course we also both wanted to attend. The newly introduced Denise said, “But I have to sell my car to pay for it. Now I’m not sure what to do”.
I said, “Have mine”. Within a minute or two of meeting a total stranger I had given her my car.
Someone recently told me that was called, “Paying it forward”. I hadn’t heard the expression before. Now I have seen the movie and it all makes sense.
Denise, was able to attend what I couldn’t. Paying it forward doesn’t always need to be to someone less fortunate.
I arranged to meet Denise the following week and drive with me to Melbourne airport. On the way, we completed the zero charge transfer papers. I asked a passer-by to quickly take our photo. It was only when I was on the plane looking at the picture on my camera that I realised what the advertising sign said in the background…..”Challenge Life”. The photo is attached – Denise, me, and the car.
Regards,
Rodney Lovell
Australia
1 comments:
My husband Adrian and I work in 5 different schools each day working with kids with big issues, problems or on the verge of being excluded from school we have them for 3 hours a day over 10 weeks, and then we get a load more kids between the ages of 13 and 16. We do one of our weeks on watching the film Pay it Forwards and then we talk about the issues in the film, so many of our kids have been through a lot of these problems and it has hit home with them. We then talk about what they have ever done to help some one or do a good deed, by the end of our time with them they are excited to go into the world and do a Pay It Forward we have heard so many amazing stories of what they do. We love these kids like our own and are so pleased we are giving them some hope in doing good for others and trying to change the world we are living in.
P.S would love to get some bracelets for them but we don’t earn a great amount, we would need to buy loads but at what cost please? we live in the UK near London
Thank you
Yours Sincerely
Nicole Laws
ms.nic.laws@googlemail.com
Post a Comment