CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 6, 2009

Lincoln Northeast High School and "PIF"

Hello! After teaching freshman for three years, I couldn't help but feel

they were missing something. How do I get them to take ownership of

their educational experience? How do I get them to see their connection

to the world around them? These are questions I asked myself hundreds of

times. These questions led me to an online search for inspiration where

I found the pay it forward website. From there, I created a week-long

unit tying it to civic involvement and what we, as citizens of a

democracy, owe our country. At the end we watched the movie and I gave

each student a bracelet. The week brought many great conversations, eyes

opening, and connections that I had to wait 27 weeks of school for (in

some cases). 


This was last spring. Ten months later, I still have students come to me

in the hallway telling me that was their favorite experience their

freshman year. I still see bracelets in the hallways, and I get stories

of how they are paying it forward. I even have one student who has put

the bracelet on their shower rod at home to remind them every morning to

try to do something to help others! He said it has become his family's

mission and purpose bringing them together when they used to argue on a

daily basis. 


Thanks. Thanks for the great resource and tool that I was able to

utilize. Since then, I have made it a year-long project for our freshman

this year where we have posted individual projects on dosomething.org.

Each of my four classes have a cause to work towards (ie. homelessness,

child abuse, etc.). I will show the video at the end of the year and

give each student a bracelet. 


I would love for someone to be able to come to our school someday. We

never know how we impact others, but I have to believe that more is

more, and that we can make a difference. 


Carrie Vanschoiack

SpEd Teacher, SCIP Team, Character Club Sponsor

Lincoln Northeast High School

1 comments:

Val said...

wonderful story, Carrie!