Just read about you by "chance" as I was finding educational links to
improve my classroom. I am a 4th grade teacher in Nebraska, but want to
give you my story from this summer. During the summer months for the past
2 yrs. I have been teaching-leading a group of kids we call the A.R.K
Project. (Actively Reaching Kids) Our town is only about 350 people so
trust me when I say these activities really give our kids the enthusiasm
and motivation to help others when there really isn't much else to do in
our small town and we live too far to go to the mall or to the movies! We
started w/about 15 the 1st summer and last summer we had 49 kids on the
mailing list. Anyway.....here is our story that was very inspirational
for our whole town.
The older students made a field trip to the nearest big city to do our
usual "pay it forward" activities and watch people's faces. We had been
doing things for 2 years so we were "pumped." Our 1st stop was for
Habitat Humanity. We gave the workers treats and drinks, toured the house
they were building and the kids even signed their names on the house.
Cool! On to our next stop where the "magic" happened. We all went to a
fast food place and pay for someone's lunch. We paid for one man's meal.
He had just left the hospital after having an MRI. It was so cool, the
kids wanted to pay again! The couple was so shocked and stunned. They
asked , "why would you do that?" I said, "I didn't, but these kids over
here did!" The couple came over and thanked the kids, complimented them,
and left the restaurant completely in disbelief. The kids in our A.R.K.
Project were elated!!!
About a week later I received a thank you in the mail with a check. The
card was from the couple of whom we had paid for their lunch. Cool! I
couldn't figure out the check, though. Especially the amount of $112.10
I ran around town showing the kids the thank you card and the check. We
even shared the whole story at church and in our local newspaper. The
memo on the back of the card said, "Thanks for paying for our lunch of
$12.10. Now go "pay it forward" 10 more times! The amount of the check
was $112.10. There were no words to express this experience for the kids
in the A.R.K. Project. Someone else gets this credit. :)
Friday, December 18, 2009
A.R.K. Project and "PIF"
Posted by Pay it Forward Members at 7:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You're story is so heart-touching! I'm glad we have projects like this to help, "PIF".
Wish you and the A.R.K. project the best!
V. Washington
PIF
Jax Fl
Post a Comment