CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 19, 2009

“Pay it Forward” and it will make a difference.

This year our Christmas letter will close with this story. Normally, we would not tell because it is not our intention to receive anything other than the “reward” (read on). However, we feel we must make an exception hoping the story will inspire others.

Several years ago we saw the movie, “Pay it Forward”. The movie is about an idea; do something nice for someone and the only request is that the receiver do something nice for someone else. My wife and I thought the idea was so great that we began, “Paying Forward” even before we knew there was a real movement. We continue to “Pay it Forward” often.

Each year we “PIF” at our local Christmas tree cutting yard. We tromp around acres of beautiful trees searching for the one tree that begs to come home with us. After cutting, we drag it up hill three miles (just kidding) to the central area where the proprietor compresses it with twine. Then we give the proprietor enough money to also pay for the next people in line. I throw our tree on my shoulder and try to get away before that transaction takes place. Last year, a young man chased us down the road and thanked us “ever so much” and promised to “Pay it Forward” himself. This it how “Pay it Forward” should work and we hope the simple gesture ripples along touching many folks along the way.

This year we gave the proprietor enough for two trees. He looked at me unbelieving and asked if it was meant for the next “hard luck case?” To which I answered, “No, just the next folks that come along.”

Again we tried to get away unidentified. Our tree was loaded and we were just closing the gate on the trailer, when a woman walked up to us with tears in her eyes. I knew we hadn’t made our getaway and tried to pretend to not notice.

She said, “I just want to thank you so much.” She went on to explain, that they had cut their tree and when they went to pay for it, discovered that they had forgotten their money at home. She continued, “We were so embarrassed to tell the owner and that is when he told us, “You are not going to believe this, but your tree has been paid forward.”


I was so stunned myself I couldn’t say a word …all I could muster was an acknowledging nod and a smile.


Did God intervene? …… Was it coincidence? …..was it Fate? … I don’t care. You can be sure the whole group was touched by “Pay it Forward” and it will make a difference.


I know what my wife and I believe; and you can be sure we have already received the best gift ever.

0 comments: