I was about 6 years old when I began volunteering with my family in the
community. We planned, fundraised, and volunteered for the Annual ACS
Relay For Life, MS Walk, city of Rancho community events and several
other events that recruited students. Helping others was just something
I thought everybody was supposed to do, so I did it. It never seemed
like work and it was fun too. Then in November of 2008, the wildfires
ripped through Yorba Linda and five other counties. I had family and
friends from all over affected by evacuations and eventually loss. Our
church is in Pomona and was very close to the Yorba Linda fire. One of
the families from church lost their house and everything. We were all
saddened by the devastation and felt helpless as to what to do.
Church members started asking me to find out how to help. I made
several phone calls to local agencies and was told to donate money to
the American Red Cross. That wasn't good enough and didn't help the
victims with what they needed immediately. That's when my sister and I
came up with the 1st Annual Pomona Pay It Forward all donation drive.
In just one weekend in December, we collected, sorted, and delivered
over 200 boxes of donated food, clothing, toys, and personal items back
into the community in time for Christmas. Last year we distributed over
250 boxes.
Saturday, December 11, 2010 is our 3rd Annual Pomona Pay It Forward all
donation drive.
1 comments:
My name is Sean Dyer & my wife Laurie give every day to somebody who we don't know.I have been to Paris,Amsterdam,Hawaii,San Francisco & I never forget how easy it would be for anyone of us to be in a situation we have no control over. Anybody who helps somebody who is in need without asking anything in return should know what I am talking about.This world will be a better place for all who exist if we would all take care of the less fortunate people who for whatever reason can't make it thru the day. Thank you for letting me voice my opinion.
Mr. & Mrs Sean Dyer
Post a Comment