First off, I want to thank you for the Pay It Forward Bracelets. This is the start of good things. We also have a grade 12 student who has created a blog. payitforwardatrci.blogspot.com. I then took an idea off TV and twisted it a little so it would work in our school. We have made numbered business cards that I want to get laminated. The plan is to have an assembly or have the teacher give them out in home room. The student will get a bracelet and they pay it forward by taking a business card and follow the instructions on the back which are:
1. The student does a good deed for someone and gives them their numbered card.
2. They log onto the blog and click on their card number and describe the good deed they did.
3. The person who received the card then does a good deed for someone else and gives that person the card
4. They go onto the blog and describe their good deed and so on......
The student at anytime can go onto the blog and trace their card. who knows where their card will end up.
New to RCI this year are Peer Helpers. We have 4 boys grade 12 and 10 grade 11 & 12 girls who joined. They will work with grade 7 & 8 boys and girls being a positive role model. They can play basketball, football or do crafts. They will be in the SSF room supervised. Jo and I did presentations about the program called Connex to the 7 & 8's and they are very keen. They will meet once a cycle for half a class. Jo and I went to the Dollar Store and purchased some supplies. Now our plan is to have the students make and/or paint these crafts and even make jewelry which we will then sell for $1.00. This will be the students way of paying it forward. They will make the craft and the money made will be used to buy canned goods for the Xmas Food Hampers. We are also collecting food coupons (another idea off TV I got - Oprah.....) and we will use the coupons and money at our local BigWay to purchase the canned goods.
One more thing we are doing - there are a ton more but we haven't started them yet - is that I contacted a mom who's student attends our school. I asked her how much it would cost to purchase 250 pink T-shirts. She gave a quote with and without screenprinting. She then asked me what they are for. I explained our Pay It Forward campaign and she was very excited. I phoned her back and said we will go ahead with the plain T-shirts and no screenprinting as the cost would increase .60 cents per shirt. She said to me "would you mind if I donated the screen printing". I couldn't believe it. So next week our school will be receiving 250 pink T-shirts with Pay It Forward on the back in a dark gray color. Amazing isn't it.........Our plan is for the school to get them on Dec 19th before we go to Hamiota for our annual Xmas Classic Hockey Game. During the year we will announce at random - tomorrow is pink T-shirt day so everyone wear their Pink T-shirt for Pay It Forward Day. I don't have pictures of them yet, but I will send them on when I do. Student Council is absorbing about 3/4 of the cost of the shirts (thank heavens) and our Pay It Forward budget will cover the rest. They are very excited as well and this is top secret from the students.
Patti Kent
SSF
Rivers Collegiate
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Rivers Collegiate "PIF"
Posted by Pay it Forward Members at 8:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment