CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A True Pay it Forward Story!

   My name is Grady Bryan Selby and, well before the movie (1997

actually), I lived in Arlington, Texas.  I had a nice job, decent

apartment, fresh out of the US Army, and had my life on track.  I

lived alone, had a dog, had a spare bedroom, and bathroom; so, I

decided one day to test the "trust factor" with, not only myself, but

society in general.

    I drove the same way to work everyday and every day, saw the same

man on the same corner, in the same clothes, and holding the same

sign.  He was a sight!  Head held high, standing defiant to the world

as if saying, "You've taken everything but, you won't take my pride!".

 I stopped everyday and gave him a few dollars, something to eat and a

big bottle of water.  One Saturday morning, no work just my "test", I

drove to where the man stood and, sure enough, there he was.  I

stopped at the light and asked him to meet me at the Burger King 10

feet from where he stood and pulled into the parking lot; he stood

there for a moment, then walked over.  At that moment, I noticed the

pronounced limp he had and took the mental picture into account.  Over

breakfast, I asked him about his life; he told me that he was an

overseas contractor, came home to find his accounts cleared, his wife

gone (with kids) and no family in the area.  He thought of anyone

around that could help him out but, no one came to mind (or would do

so) and, he ended up on the streets with no place to go.  I then asked

him if a person was to offer a hand to him, what would he say?  His

reply was astonishing; "I really wouldn't say anything, just walk away

probably.  Why do you ask?".  I told him my name, where I worked, my

background, and everything that was pertinent to the situation then, I

proceeded to lay out my proposition.  "I want to give back.  I want to

help those who've had life piss on them, turn it's back on them, and

no one ever cares.  So, if you will trust me enough, I want to do

something for you.", I said.  I asked him to come with me, on blind

faith, and to his credit he did.

     We went to the store, you should have seen the looks!  It was the

most demeaning thing to have a hundred people looking down on this

man!!  I paid for everything he'd need to get cleaned up; razors,

clippers (for his beard), shaving gel, deodorant, tooth care items,

the whole lot.  After, we went back to my apartment; I gave him a key

and told him he was staying there until he got on his feet.  He got

cleaned up, looked like a new man, and then we went to get his haircut

and new clothes.  I am not rich but, had managed to save a few

dollars.  Anyhow, I asked him what his strong employment suits were,

and we typed out a resume for his job hunting.

    Fast forward 10 years.  This homeless man now has a fine 3 bedroom

house, gets to see his kids every weekend, juat came back from the

Bahamas (he got re-married), and when he asked me how I could repay

him, I told him to do the same for someone else.  He introduced me to

his wife, and his kids, and I still get tears thinking about the

reaction these people gave me; gratitude for giving their Dad his life

back, for giving her a wonderful husband and, for giving him the

chance no one else would.

    My thoughts were then, and are now, if we can trust again and help

those that need it again, just think of the world it would be!  Now,

Pay It Forward is International; my hats off to you!  You have a

supporter and friend in me!


Sincerely,


Grady Selby

0 comments: