The mother began to cry. Using a translator/social worker to communicate with Angelo, the women talked to him about the situation she was faced with. She began to explain that her husband was recently deported and placed in a deportation centre. She has not been in contact with him and doesn't know where he is. She is unable to work and is finding it very hard to cope. She depended on her husband as the provider of the family and is now faced with having take care of her children on her own. After their meeting, Angelo asked the social worker what he could do to help. He was told that he could purchase non perishables and other necessities for them. Shelly, The amazing thing about people is that we are moved by our hearts when others around us are in need of a helping hand. After listening to my co-worker, I explained to her about Rotary and Pay It Forward. I asked that she allow me to give her some money to her to give to this family and explained that it was my Pay it Forward. I am not sure how to explain to you how I feel but I am so greatfull that I am in a position to help, even if it is a small amount. The email below went out this morning and my co-workers have come together to assist this family. We have started a collection and a little food drive amongst ourselves for them. The awesome thing about today is that immediately after the email was forwarded to staff, some came from the other departmenst into our work area asking what else they could do to help. This was a very touching moment today and I think we all share a tear or two. My heart truly goes out to this family and I responded with my heart to help. I am going to get them a card and put $50.00us inside along with the Pay It Forward bracellet. I guess to me, the greatest thing about Pay It Forward is responding when you are nudged to do so and acting with your heart. Best regards, Terri-Ann HurstThis morning I sat listening to a co-worker speak about a family in need. To start, my co-worker's husband is a special needs teacher at an elementary school in Detroit (Mexican Town). At times, I would sit quiet as I'd listen to her talk about her husband's experiences as an educator in Detroit. This particular time was a little different. I listened attentively, watching my co-worker's eyes fill with tears. She told us about a mother that attended a meeting with my co-worker's husband Angelo regarding her son's Individualized Education Program assessment and to discuss his progress. Angelo began by telling her how good her son was improving and that he was the student of the month.
Strategic Services Analyst
Monday, April 7, 2008
Good Day
Posted by Pay it Forward Members at 11:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment